Former BCCI chief Sourav Ganguly said on Tuesday he will be back as director of ISL heavyweight ATK Mohun Bagan. “Long ago I played for Mohun Bagan Club for more than 9 years. I have many memories of the place. I am happy to see the transformation of this club. I congratulate them on their efforts to increase the facilities here. I’ll be back here soon as director,” he said as quoted by ANI.
Last year, Ganguly had left the board of ATK Mohun Bagan after facing conflict of interest as co-owner of the Indian Super League team along with Sanjiv Goenka. Ganguly’s position as BCCI chief, along with his presence on the board of ATK Mohun Bagan, was even viewed as a potential conflict of interest by some BCCI members.
Earlier this month, Ganguly was replaced as BCCI president by Roger Binny. Ganguly had wanted to remain as president but was offered the position of chairman of the Indian Premier League, which he declined. The BCCI had also made it clear that it would not support the former India captain for the position of ICC chairman.
Ganguly had also put name in the hat to become the next leader of the Cricket Association of Bengal, but withdrew from the race last Sunday, clearing the way for his older brother Snehasish to be uncontested at the upcoming AGM on October 31st.
“Had I been there, it would have meant two or more people wouldn’t get messages. So I stepped aside,” Ganguly had said. have not had the chance to work for this association, they will now be working for three years and after that we will see.”
When asked about his next innings, he said, “Let’s see. I’ve been free of responsibilities for a while now and I’m happy about that.
(with PTI inputs)