Aztecs move on to MW Semis after penalty shootout

Story Links

[1]    Wyoming (Semifinal)

Next game:

against [1] Wyoming (Semifinal)

11/2/2022 | 4:00 PM MT

Nov 02 (Wed) / 4:00 PM MT

against [1] Wyoming (Semifinal)

ALBUQUERQUE, NM – After 22 rounds of penalty kicks, San Diego State women’s soccer (7-5-8) advanced to the semifinals of the Mountain West Tournament on Sunday night, 0 (19) – 0 (18). The Aztecs converted 19 of their penalties compared to Utah (8-5-8) who scored 18. With the match tied at 0-0 after neither side could find a goal in regulation time or in both overtime, the two sides faced each other. out in a penalty shootout. Each team was able to make their first nine kicks, but in the 10th round, both goalkeepers got away with saves. Two laps later, Emma Gaines-Ramos missed her penalty to give the Aggies the advantage. Alexa Madueno then came out with a big save to send the match to a 13th round of penalties. The process was repeated in the 15th round, when, after the SDSU penalty was saved, Jordan Forker of Utah saw her shot come off the bar to send the shootout to a 16th round. Neither team would miss again until the 22nd round, when after Rachelle Elve threw home the Aztecs’ 19th spot kick, Madueno ducked into the net ahead of the Aztecs to her left to stop Utah State’s 22nd round and send the Aztecs to the Mountain West tournament semifinals. A total of 44 penalties were taken during the shootout, and 37 of those kicks were scored as the Aztecs triumphed after a marathon of penalty kicks. Earlier in the regular season, the Aztecs were in the foreground for most of the game. In the 10th minute, the Aztecs thought they had found the opener 10 minutes into the game. After a Utah State turnover, Rachelle Elve jumped on the loose ball and fired a shot from outside the box that hit the crossbar and came back into play. The ball rolled off the crossbar and fell to Olivia Sekimoto, who hit the frame of the goal with his follow-up shot and bounced back into play, and the game tied, 0-0. Later in halftime in the 44th minute, Madueno showed a taste of what was to come. Utah State were awarded a penalty for a foul in the penalty area, but the penalty was saved by Madueno who ducked to the right to make the stop and the game went into halftime scoreless.

In the second half, Elve came closest to breaking the deadlock for the Aztecs in the 64th minute, but her shot went straight to Aggies’ goalkeeper, who saved it well. San Diego State was awarded its own penalty in the 74th minute. Carlin Blake got a foul in the penalty area, but Lauren Dicus’ subsequent Aztec penalty was saved by the Utah State goalkeeper. Neither team was able to break the deadlock in the rules or overtime and the game then moved on to penalties as the Aztecs emerged from the frenzy with a 19-18 penalty shootout win over 22 rounds. Following: The Aztecs will face No. 1 in Wyoming in the Semifinals of the Mountain West Conference tournament on Wednesday at 4 p.m. MT. -SDSU-

Leave a Comment